Thursday, July 23, 2009
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Interior decorators work in both the residential and commercial fields, but the scope of their services are limited to surface changes that enhance the visual appeal and comfort of a space. Interior decorators tend to focus on elements such as color, fabric, artwork, accessories and do not delve into the more intense aspects such as architectural modifications or major flooring or finish changes. Education and credentials are also a significant contrast between the two titles. An interior decorator is not required to have any formal education, degree or examination in order to legally use the title. Because an interior decorator's skills are less defined, they tend to be more accessible and affordable.
In order to use the title 'Interior Designer', there are very specific regulations that must be adhered to. Although it varies from state to state, many require a designer to be licensed and most demand that college coursework be completed. The reason the bar is set higher for the interior designer is directly related to the level of knowledge and skill that is needed within the practice. Interior designers are often involved in architectural aspects of the vision as well as more critical facets, such as safety codes, and structural integrity. Because interior designers take on more aggressive projects - their knowledge, expertise and skill level need to be solid and secure and backed up by a strong educational foundation. In addition to the technical considerations of the project, designers still uphold also have a strong sense of color, scale, style and balance - thus when it comes time for the surface enhancement of the project - an interior designer will address the challenge with strong creativity and flair.
Area Interior Planning is owned and operated by Cari Carter, a professional interior designer that has practiced in Orange County for almost 15 years. Her educational background comes from a B.S. in Interior Design from Colorado State University, which is a FIDER Accredited design program.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
- You have virtually no free time to plan, coordinate and implement the vision for your project.
- You are new the area and are unfamiliar with the bounty of design resources that Orange County has to offer.
- You find yourself feeling overwhelmed with the never-ending number of options available.
- You are in need of assistance with the more technical areas of design, such as space planning, lighting design, scale and balance, kitchen and bath configuration, etc.
- You know that you are creative but just aren't exactly sure where to begin or how to pull it all together.
- You feel that Orange County's typical interior design resources and retailers just don't offer the unique, 'Never been done before' look that you are envisioning and you'd like to explore what the 'Trade Only' Showrooms offer.
- You'd prefer not to be bothered with the coordination details and inevitable hassles that arise when placing orders, confirming specifications, monitoring deliveries and overseeing installation.
- You do not have reliable resources for sub-contract labor and would benefit from 'Tried and True' referrals for painting, electrical, general contracting, plumbing, etc.
- You are drawn to the idea of having custom furniture and upholstery made but would prefer not to pay the high mark-up that 'Open to the Public' workrooms charge.
- Your project calls for a very specific look or needs to be designed to compliment the particular period due to the existing structure or 'shell'.
- You've made costly mistakes before when designing your own project - the sectional didn't fit in the room, the dresser wouldn't fit up the stairwell, the colors looked different once installed than they did in the store . . .
- and last but not least . . .you really just want a project that is flawlessly carried out, that accommodates every functional and aesthetic demand and provides a cohesive look and style that you will enjoy with pride.
Area Interior Planning is more than qualified to resolve all of these concerns as well as any others that you may have. If you are interested in setting an appointment for a Complimentary 1-Hour Consultation, call 949•294•5769 or log on to: www.areainteriorplanning.com
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
My objective for Area's blog will be to offer a wide variety of topics that will enhance each reader's grasp on what good interior design can introduce, both aesthetically, as well as functionally and sometimes even emotionally. I will also shed light on how a professional interior designer can be an asset when attempting to implement a personal vision whether it be a residential or commercial application.
The craft of interior design has been around since the beginning of time and no matter what the state of the world or the economy is, the innate human desire to 'live in beauty' will never fade away.